Sunday, January 13, 2013

My biggest weakness

I've never had an entrepreneurial mindset. I work for others and live paycheck to paycheck, that's what I have always done. My first jobs consisted of an hourly wage and very hard work. I started working at the young age of 11 or 12 with a newspaper route, then at the local fair cooking and serving corn dogs and lemonade. That job was followed up with a cashier position at the local Long John Silvers where I had regular five or ten cent raises that seemed great at the time. I never broke a full dollar in raises during the 3 years I worked there and believe me I worked hard and fast. Since then I have continued to apply for jobs, earn anywhere from 5 to 8 to 15 dollars per hour, and nothing has ever changed. That includes my current salaried position where I work very hard for about 15 dollars per hour, teaching art in the public education system. Teachers pay is public. You can go to any school district website and download the Salary Schedule, and examine the graph according to years of service and level of education. I have a Masters degree in Teaching and this is my fourth year of service. If you take the average teaching salary, especially for new teachers, and divide that up to an hourly wage, it's typically 15 per hour, or 30,000 per year.

Then there is Melanie. My BFF from college. Her first job was at a hotel and restaurant, where she made a serving wage, tips, and sometimes more. She was home schooled for part of her life. She got into running and planning events during high school. She made around 15 per hour at her very first job on many days, sometimes more. In college, she didn't settle for any job that paid less than 12 per hour, and she was extremely successful at landing high paying jobs, whether it was hourly or serving at high end hotel functions. She passed down a job offer to me once, 8 per hour at a Tshirt design store, it worked for me a little while. Melanie also studied a wide array of business related classes in college, as well as marketing, public relations, and cooking. She spent time as a radio deejay and planning events in Springfield. She does things smart, and very different than me. Her first jobs outside of college were very successful financially and related to her skills and talents, within universities and local hospitals.

I worked as a bank teller. That's not even the worst, with my Bachelors degree in history and a minor in Studio Art, I graduated in 2006 with no training in any specific career field, other than writing history papers, creating art, and some basic Spanish skills. I started applying for jobs in Kansas City, with interviews at the Public Parks Department as a secretary. Before getting the job at Bank of America, I worked for no less than 7 dollars per hour at the front desk of the Independence YMCA. Not kidding. I applied for whatever jobs I could find in the area, and that one offered a recent college graduate the lowest wage legally possible. Needless to say, that summer at the YMCA I applied for my first ever credit card, to purchase GROCERIES. Sandwich meat, bread, kool-aid packets, and ramen noodles.

I also borrowed a thousand dollars from my hometown credit union to pay my first months rent while I found a job. I scrimped, I paid the loan off, I ate leftover chips and salsa from the YMCA break room, and eventually thru a family friend I put on a black dress suit, printed another resume, and got hired as a bank teller. I had made it. Graduated and was on salary, working in Kansas City at a bank.

That job was fulfilling enough to inspire me to quit after about a year. I could have worked up, tried for a position as a personal banker, but the heavy emphasis on sales drove me away. Bank tellers bombarding people with credit card offers while they tried to cash their paycheck wasn't very rewarding. That was demeaning and so was my boss at the time, although looking back I kind of feel sorry for her trying to survive as well. So I did about the only thing I knew I could do and had been putting off, I went back to college, borrowed 25,000 dollars for a teacher certification and degree, and began teaching.

My positive mindset was/is this: I can teach and be a positive influence for youth, while spending all the breaks and summers traveling the world. I can live in my home state with family and have a loving relationship, and spend every extra penny on plane tickets and unforgettable experiences. I will be home for the holidays already.

So has it worked? Mostly. Am I traveling? For my first 3 years of teaching yeah, I traveled every chance I got. Do I earn enough money to live my dreams? Not right now. Car maintenance, medical debt, that pesky credit card, and those college/career loans keep getting in the way.

In my last post I outlined my now 18 month plan to getting debt free except for the college loans. If I had a mortgage my chances of travel would be zero. If I had a kid? Less than zero. The worst thing that could happen would be failing health and/or medical debt, because we all know how safe we are in that arena.

So, back to the entrepreneurial mindset. I always admire Melanie and her ability to turn skills, talent, and opportunities into real income. I've decided to become a self-taught entrepreneur. It's something that maybe every person should study, especially artists. I look back at my past and the one thing I do always have is a desire to learn. I'm a true knowledge seeker. When I'm not doubting myself I also have a lot of talent, skills, and things to work with. At least I have learned not to return to the college debt trap and seek my knowledge on the web where it is free and I can learn from others.

Well that confession felt pretty good. Now you know some of my story and hopefully sharing it will bring about good things rather than harm. Maybe you see the distinction between the type of people that work for low pay their entire lives and the type that can turn ideas into real success. I'm hoping to make the transition out of the "always working for someone else" mindset and do something BIG and interesting.

23 comments:

  1. Being debt free is the most important goal everyone should have today. Proud of you for being a teacher! Uncle D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some were practical, of course, but others were psychological and
    emotional. * Team answer sheets - Basically a grid lined A4 type sheet with answer write in numbered boxes and
    a line on top for the team name. Ask your local club
    to run this for you.

    my webpage: pub quiz team names

    ReplyDelete
  3. DJ spins out on Saturday nights. * Team answer sheets - Basically
    a grid lined A4 type sheet with answer write in numbered boxes and
    a line on top for the team name. Her father, Bruce Paltrow, produced the critically acclaimed TV series that is considered the precursor to many medical shows today,
    St.

    Also visit my web-site pub quiz austin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some were practical, of course, but others were psychological and emotional.
    * Team answer sheets - Basically a grid lined A4 type
    sheet with answer write in numbered boxes and a line on top for the team name.
    They feature almost nightly drink specials and some form of entertainment every night of
    the week--DJ's, live music, trivia, you name it.

    My web page - pub quiz team names

    ReplyDelete
  5. G# or Ab - (lower) so#, (middle) do, (middle)
    re# G#, C, D# keys. -- Notes: Bb D F. These hail every little
    thing played getting rid of barely the sophisticated keys,
    so you ought to keep effective toward crush extra listed below barely a
    limited area of time.

    Also visit my web blog: piano chords america the beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  6. The owner decided after the event to donate half of the proceeds back to the students.

    This was zero cost because the students went to
    local stores and asked for either donations and gift cards
    to purchase these items. The game would begin with them watching
    the collapse of society and the outbreak of magic around the world.


    My site - christian

    ReplyDelete
  7. By dividing up the party at several peoples houses you make
    it easy on yourself. Even Halloween parties with the very best Halloween costumes can
    get dry after everyone's seen the costumes to be seen and passed out the candy to the beggars. At each house you have the hostess serve something small to eat, and host a small game.

    Here is my web page - colorado springs hotels

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some were practical, of course, but others were psychological and
    emotional. *Rounds table format. Theme Format: It is almost like standard format of the pub
    quiz.

    Feel free to surf to my website - Great Pub Quiz Names

    ReplyDelete
  9. The owner decided after the event to donate half of the
    proceeds back to the students. This was zero cost because the students went to local stores and
    asked for either donations and gift cards to purchase these items.
    Now, one of my co-workers was applying to the Secret Service and I knew that I was down as a reference for her.


    My web site - bet

    ReplyDelete
  10. Upon returning to the starting line, the first player must pass
    the sugar cube to the next teammate in line and so
    on. You make different challenges like scavenger hunts, food challenges, mazes and races.

    At each house you have the hostess serve something small to eat, and host
    a small game.

    Also visit my page - Google Com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some were practical, of course, but others were psychological and emotional.

    Popular prizes include sports tickets, cash and vouchers for drinks,
    food - and dollars off of tabs. 8.

    Feel free to surf to my weblog best pub quiz team names

    ReplyDelete
  12. Also, we need to determine the rounds of the quiz according to it.

    Anna had been looking through my phone while I was naked.
    The Bull's Head Pub, Bangkok.

    Look into my blog post: pub quiz amsterdam

    ReplyDelete
  13. Also, we need to determine the rounds of the quiz according to it.
    I believe my exact words were "I don't want to be your dirty little secret. They feature almost nightly drink specials and some form of entertainment every night of the week--DJ's, live music, trivia, you name it.

    Here is my webpage :: pub quiz austin texas

    ReplyDelete
  14. In other words, they go against the grain of the careers their parents had.

    I believe my exact words were "I don't want to be your dirty little secret. The decline of the East side blues scene was disheartening, but, it also gave rise to the need for a fresh start, which came in the form of the next blues-only venue, Antone's, founded by the late Clifford Antone, during the summer of 1975.

    my page pub quiz archives

    ReplyDelete
  15. DJ spins out on Saturday nights. *Rounds table format.
    The buccal cavity is a small cavity that has neither
    jaws nor teeth.

    Also visit my webpage: pub quiz austin

    ReplyDelete
  16. In that case, this kind of question should not be
    taken from any show telecasted in specific country.
    * Team answer sheets - Basically a grid lined A4 type sheet with answer write in numbered boxes and
    a line on top for the team name. Theme Format: It is almost like standard
    format of the pub quiz.

    My site: easy pub quiz and answers

    ReplyDelete
  17. The decor on the inside of the restaurant is absolutely beautiful.
    You must definitely be planning to make it special and memorable by keeping a good theme, ordering the best food and choosing the best
    games. The Bull's Head Pub, Bangkok.

    Here is my site; pub quiz austin texas

    ReplyDelete
  18. The only hurdle to accessing this is of course human limitations and the fact that the
    brain does not function solely as a learning tool for the human being.

    *Rounds table format. 8.

    my homepage ... pub quiz team names

    ReplyDelete
  19. DJ spins out on Saturday nights. At the end of each
    round read out the cumulative scores. 8.

    my web page - free pub quiz and answers ()

    ReplyDelete
  20. So you are looking to rid your girl of these
    unwanted stalkers when you are drawn to Willow Creek's Black Mirror Castle. You make different challenges like scavenger hunts, food challenges, mazes and races. At each house you have the hostess serve something small to eat, and host a small game.

    my webpage ... web Development

    ReplyDelete
  21. The players would begin as members of the SCA, going to Phoenix for the Estrella War.
    Even Halloween parties with the very best Halloween costumes can get dry after everyone's seen the costumes to be seen and passed out the candy to the beggars. You Divide everyone at the party into two groups, or tribes.

    Here is my web-site Classmates Com

    ReplyDelete
  22. If your tween is into paint-ball you can take everyone to
    play paint-ball. I won't spoil your surprises and give away any more details. Every Halloween party that people remember later in the year by saying things like "Do you remember so-and-so's Halloween party last year.


    Here is my weblog; cheap flights

    ReplyDelete
  23. The owner decided after the event to donate half of
    the proceeds back to the students. The game was released on
    August 3, and is in stores now, but probably is where it will remain, sad to say.
    That is the new craze in on the internet gaming, and numerous girls and teens
    are possessing a blast.

    my web site :: refinance mortgage

    ReplyDelete